What's New in JW Player 6.x?
This page enumerates all changes for the various JW Player 6 releases. We release a new update roughly every 2 months.
Table Of Contents
02-06-2014: JW Player 6.8 brings major updates to advertising with support of VAST 3.0 and VMAP specifications. Next, the player includes fully Redesigned Pro Skins and support for FCC Compliant captions styling.
- VAST 3.0 Compliance, including:
- Skippable ads
- Ad Podding
- Progress & skip trackers
- Compliant error codes
- Wrapper parsing updates
- VMAP 1.0 compliance: able to parse ad schedules from a VMAP tag.
- Newly designed and imagined Pro skins (8 in total).
- FCC Captions Compliance by supporting further customization of caption styling options.
- HTML5 video renders up to 4x faster.
- Ability to extract ID3 metadata from RTMP streams.
Updates and Enhancements
- Mid-roll ad markers now display on the timeslider.
- Audio only mp3 creatives play in the JW Player.
- Volume API calls work with VPAID ads.
- Improved HLS Adaptive switching algorithm that provides less buffering and more viewing.
- Customizable ad skip countdown message.
- Volume slider thumb no longer disappears when at zero volume.
- Improved click tracking on VAST 1.0 tags to reflect wrapped tags.
- API updates to determine which ads are currently playing, skipped, and completed.
- onresize() was not firing correctly in HTML5, this now fires when the player is resized.
- Removed hd toggle that appeared in the ad playback control bar.
- Fixed hd/cc toggle in flash mode that made it so a viewer could not tell if the HD was on or off.
- Fixed playback issues with certain VPAID ad tags that used adparameters.
- Fixed positioning issues with certain DFP nonlinear overlay takeover ads.
- Fixed timeslider thumbnails that were not formatted correclty when using multiple sprites in Flash.
- Fixed an issue with Adobe SiteCatalyst where extra information was being pinged.
- YouTube iframe fallback on iOS 7 is now formatted correctly.
11-07-2013: The 6.7 release introduces Ad Skipping for VAST 2.0 ad tags, nonlinear overlays in HTML5, and Chapter Markers in the player control bar.
- VAST 2.0 and 1.0 ads can now be skipped after preprogramming timed offset.
- Nonlinear creatives can now be used in the HTML5 player.
- Chapter markers points can be added with the WebVTT standard track file.
- Native fullscreen support in HTML5 for IE11.
Updates and Enhancements
- Created an API event for when an ad is skipped that will allow publishers to further customize ad interactions.
- When iFrames are supported, the JW Player can be played in fullscreen.
- The fontFamily for captions can now be configured to non-latin fonts.
- When only one language or video quality is present, the player skin shows HD/CC as a toggle instead of an overlay options menu.
- Advanced HLS features have been moved to the Ads edition of the JW Player.
- AAC Audio streams with ID3 tags no longer cause errors. Stay tuned for ID3 metadata provided in the API.
- Removed a flash memory leak that was present during HLS playback.
- Several fixes to HLS flash provider to allow videos that were either playing audio or were encrypted and not playing.
- A fix to prevent midrolls from causing playback to buffer indefinitely.
- Fixed an issue with onDisplayClick for IE10 for ad clickthroughs.
08-14-2013: The 6.6 release introduces Mobile Skinning and HLS updates as well as a number of enhancements and bug fixes.
- Mobile players now use customizable skins instead of the device default controls.
- Support for 2x retina skins across desktop and mobile.
- Support for DVR seeking in HLS streams.
- Support for CEA-608 captions in HLS streams.
- Support for elementary AAC/MP3 audio streams in HLS.
Updates and Enhancements
- Playlist on mobile is now scrollable with one finger.
- Related sharing tooltips can now be customized.
- onDisplayClick() works on mobile.
- Controls API also function during ad playback.
- Doubleclick on display now toggles fullscreen.
- Option to add horizontal volume slider in audio mode.
- New “basic” listbar layout that only shows titles.
- Dock buttons are also displayed in the idle state.
- Proper primary mode and fallback selection for RSS feeds.
- VAST linear ad interface consolidated into the control bar.
- Advertising API calls now available for Google IMA (except playAd).
- Support for VAST 1.0 tags in HTML5 mode.
- Support for custom HD labels with SMIL/M3U8 manifests.
- 404 on HLS playlist won’t error out entire stream.
- For HLS live streaming only the active playlist is pulled from CDN.
- For live streaming the redundant time slider is now replaced with the event title.
- Video aspect ratio is detected for single bit rate HLS streams.
- Skin divider elements now appear correctly.
- When removing dock button its tooltip also hides in Flash.
- Offset issues with seekbar on display relative pages in WebKit.
- playIcon now hides in HTML5 when removed from skin.
- More robust hiding of the time slider in skins.
- Listbar description colors now picked up in HTML5 mode.
- Built-in IE popup blocker no longer blocks clicks in Flash for VAST ads.
- VAST playAd and onBeforePlay fixes in Flash mode.
- More tolerant VAST 2.0 parsing in HTML5 mode.
- VAST xml parsing on Android.
- Parsing xml namespace in DFXP captions.
- Parsing of HLS live streams with program datetime tag.
- Support for encrypted HLS streams with uppercase initialization vector.
- HLS playback in Flash with a server-absolute key file path.
- New: The 8 premium skins are now available to Pro users (Pro edition).
- New: Integration with Adobe SiteCatalyst for easy setup of advanced video analytics (Premium edition).
- Update: Hiding the title from the play icon, using the "displaytitle" option.
- Update: An onSetupError() callback that gets called when the player cannot be setup.
- Update: A getPlaylistIndex() API call, which returns the index of the active item.
- Update: Live Closed Captions rendering using RTMP and the Wowza or Adobe media servers.
- Update: Setting of custom dimensions of the related videos thumbnails (Premium edition).
- Update: Support for AES128 decryption of HLS fragments (Premium edition).
- Update: Several new VAST tag replacement variables, including playlistItem options (Ads edition).
- Fix: Smooth scaling of poster and playlist thumbnails in Flash mode.
- Fix: Picking the high-quality thumbnail from YouTube RSS feeds.
- Fix: Seeks inside the buffer for Flash pseudo-streaming don't trigger a re-fetch.
- Fix: RSS setups now fallback to Flash if the format isn't supported in HTML5.
- Fix: Skipping of HLS for a multi-source setup on Android 4.0.
- Fix: Playback of YouTube videos with non-alphanumeric characters on iOS/Android.
- Fix: Correct display of YouTube error messages.
- Fix: Support for VAST creatives without filename extension or with MOV extension.
- Fix: JW Player inside a form stopped triggering a postback.
- Fix: The listbar now correctly redraws itself upon resize in a responsive setup.
- Fix: The video element in HTML5 mode now correctly resizes itself upon player resize.
- Fix: Controlbar audio-mode now correctly kicks in with a listbar and ignores max-width.
- Fix: Embedding of JW Player on pages that have a "direction:rtl" CSS rule.
- Fix: Proper handling of timecode gaps in HLS discontinuities.
- Fix: Proper handling of comments in RSS feeds in HTML5 mode.
- Fix: Parsing for certain PMT tables and ADTS headers for HLS in Flash.
- Fix: Seeks beyond the duration don't enter an infinite buffer anymore for HLS in Flash.
- Fix: Inconsistencies in the onSeek(), onPlay() and onResize() event callbacks.
- Fix: Playback of MP3-only HLS streams in TS now works OK..
- Fix: Bottom-left and bottom-right logo now placed correctly, just above the controlbar.
- Fix: Inconsistencies in Complete, Mute and Fullscreen tracking for VAST in Flash.
- Fix: Triggering of lowest bitrate for RTMP streams with no/partial width attributes.
04-24-2013: The 6.4 release introduces support for VAST advertising in HTML5 and Responsive Design, as well as a number of smaller updates and bug fixes:
- New: Added support for VAST 2.0 linear non-interactive ads in the HTML5 player
- New: Added support embedding the player in a responsive design via a new aspectratio parameter and percentage-based width.
- Update: Option-based disabling of Stage Video acceleration for MP4/FLV, RTMP and HLS in Flash.
- Fix: Issue where the download fallback would not render with multiple sources where the first was RTMP or HLS.
- Fix: Issue where players would not setup if the Ember.js library was used on the same page.
- Fix: Issue where tracking requests are not triggered when a VAST tag’s duration is set to 0.
- Fix: Issue where ads sometimes won’t play while in fullscreen mode.
- Fix: Issue where server-absolute links do not work on hosted players.
- Fix: Issue in Flash where multiple mid-rolls would not play in Chrome.
- Fix: Issue in Flash where some IMA tags won’t load.
- Fix: Issue in HTML5 where ads don’t play when the player falls back from Flash.
03-13-2013: The 6.3 release introduces support for Tooltip Thumbnails and VPAID Overlays, as well as some smaller updates and bug fixes:
- New: Added support for tooltip thumbnails in the time slider.
- New: Added support for publishers and users to set the default quality level and caption track.
- New: Added support for VPAID non-linear overlays (Ads edition).
- Update: Introduced Apple Airplay support by setting flag on video element.
- Update: Introduced support for RTMP 302 redirects
- Update: Added Envivio HLS stream support (Premium edition).
- Update: Improved advertising UX by showing a buffering icon while ads load (Ads edition).
- Fix: Issue where some HLS streams don’t start with a black screen
- Fix: Issue where certain VAST XML causes the player to crash
- Fix: Issue where HLS type detection in HTML5 mode doesn’t work
- Fix: Issue where the time slider tooltip mismatches the actual seek time in Flash mode
- Fix: Issue where sometimes RTMP application / id were not detected.
- Fix: Removed buffer icon after seeking is complete in IE10.
- Fix: Issue where captions don’t initially render in the correct position
- Fix: Issue where captions disappear after switching to fullscreen
- Fix: Issue where setting controls:false does not hide controls on mobile devices
- Fix: Issue where VPAID non-linear overlays don't go away
- Fix: Issue where VAST ad volume is not changed
- Fix: Issue where VPAID non-linear overlays toggle the video to play if it’s paused
- Fix: Issue where an onReady event fires even if player fails to set up
- Fix: Issue with FireFox in Flash mode where the play icon stays highlighted
- Fix: Issue in HTML5 mode where the controls can still be clicked when disabled
- Fix: Issue in Flash mode where mouse cursor is not hidden in fullscreen
- Fix: Issue in Chrome where preview images do not load with a 302 redirect
- Fix: Issue where clicking on the commercial player’s logo would not play/pause the video
- Fix: Issue where mimetypes are not detected in RSS
- Fix: Removed undocumented fields from returning via the playlist API
- Fix: Issue where playlist types are not filtered out based on the player’s mode
- Fix: Issue where poster images are not refreshed when loading a new playlist
- Fix: Issue where embedding with sources would not load items into the active playlist
02-06-2013: The 6.2 release introduces support for Google IMA3 in HTML5 mode, as well as a number of fixes:
- New: Single binary for all player editions, so re-downloads are not needed after upgrading.
- New: Support for the Google IMA3 SDK in HTML5 mode, in particular iOS/Android (Ads edition).
- Update: Basic mechanism to set global defaults for embeds in player library.
- Update: Introduced the ability to set custom URLs for html5/flash players.
- Update: Support for discontinuities in HLS streams (Premium edition).
- Fix: Player not loading in IE7
- Fix: Fixed an issue which caused certain HLS streams to fail
- Fix: Added aliases for RTMP (smil) and HLS (m3u8) type values
- Fix: HLS now always resumes from live head after pause
- Fix: Disabled analytics plugin no longer gets loaded
- Fix: Some HLS live streams eventually error out on #1010
- Fix: Fixed an issue where and HLS stream would fail with error code #2006
- Fix: When stop() called onComplete, player no longer advances to next playlist item
- Fix: Fixes an issue where calling seek() on Android devices would restart playback.
- Fix: HLS should buffer instead of complete when ending live playlist
- Fix: Certain HLS streams with MP3 don't have audio
12-17-2012: The 6.1 release bundles a few HLS enhancements and a number of bug fixes:
- New: Faster HLS starts and seeks, by starting playback while still downloading (Premium edition).
- New: Improved, less bandwidth maximizing HLS quality switching (Premium edition).
- New: Explicit omission of Android from HLS support, due to critical bugs (Premium edition).
- Fix: Centering CSS is not reset inside JW Player, leading to broken player designs.
- Fix: Cross-origin errors when loading JW Player in cross-domain iFrame.
- Fix: After interacting with a player, no more text can be selected on a page.
- Fix: Elapsed and remaining time cannot be hidden in skins.
- Fix: The combination of RTMP dynamic streaming and live FC Subscribing breaks.
- Fix: Manual RTMP quality switching is not instant.
- Fix: Ordering of quality levels is not consistent across modes and formats.
- Fix: Generation of quality labels is not consistent across modes and formats.
- Fix: When fallback is disabled, the player still clears the original DIV.
- Fix: Page scrollbar still visible in IE9 fake-fullscreen.
- Fix: Returning from fullscreen sometimes results in scaled video on iPad.
- Fix: In Flash mode in fullscreen, the controls don't fade out.
- Fix: Relative paths to MP4 not working on IE8.
- Fix: Title in display not appearing in Premium player.
- Fix: API calls in HTML5 mode in onReady() queue not working.
- Fix: MEdia errors not exposed to API in HTML5 mode.
- Fix: Cross-domain loaded captions fail in IE9 in HTML5 mode.
11-09-2012: Initial release of JW6.
See Migrating from JW5 to JW6 for an overview of changes from most recent player version, JW5.