Table Of Contents
This article provides an overview of JW Player's Social Sharing plugin as well as instructions for implementation.
Sharing of videos through Facebook, Twitter, blogs and email can dramatically increase reach across the web. See this blog post on sharing for more info and some hints.
Please note: JW Player no longer supports in-feed video playback on Facebook.
About Social Sharing
JW Player has a customizable sharing menu that allows viewers to do any of the following:
- Copy a link to the page where the video lives
- Click to share the video to social networks
- Complete another action specified by your own custom icon implementation
If Sharing is enabled, viewers can activate the overlay by clicking the Sharing button in the control bar.
Here is the overlay in action:
When users "share" the video using this overlay, the "link" URL gets shared (this is defined either in the setup block upon embed, or in the content's metadata in the dashboard).
Implementing Social Sharing
Go to your JW Player dashboard's Players section and click on the player you would like to edit (or create a new player). In the left-hand accordion menu, you will see a "Sharing" section.
There are several Sharing options you can configure in the dashboard:
- Turn the Sharing overlay "on" or "off"
- Customize the title of the overlay (and what is shown when hovering over the "sharing" icon during playback)
- Select which social networks will be displayed in the overlay. Currently, out-of-the-box networks include:
Facebook & Twitter
For players embedded with the dashboard's single-line embed, videos shared onto Facebook & Twitter will play right inside the Facebook wall and Twitter feed, minimizing friction and maximizing playback. Here is an example of how your video will look inside the Facebook wall:
Technically, playback is enabled through the Facebook OpenGraph and Twitter Cards headers we place inside a video's iframe embed page. No configuration is needed on your website.
Did you find this article helpful?
Please log in to rate this article.