Ad Formats Reference
This document describes the various advertising clients, formats and servers supported in the Platinum and Enterprise editions of JW Player. See Basic Preroll Ads for actual configuration options.
Table Of Contents
JW Player supports several ways to deliver video ads:
- Ads served by a VAST-compliant video ad server. For a sampling of these servers, please see our section here. This is the default and most widely used method. It is worth noting that VPAID 1 ads are currently only supported via the use of Adobe's Flash plugin. VPAID 2 ads will only work when the player is rendering in HTML5 mode.
- Google IMA
- Google's Interactive Media Ads (IMA) SDK version 3 provides support for serving ads via Google's proprietary platforms along with other third-party ad servers. JW Player is one of Google's official video technology partners. For more information on these platforms, see our section here.
- VAST or Google IMA Ads served by a VAST-compliant video ad server can be scheduled throughout video playback in a VMAP tag. See Scheduling Ads with VMAP.
- FreeWheel's HTML5 Ad Manager SDK provides support for serving ads via FreeWheel's proprietary ad server via configuration in their MRM Platform. Serving ads via FreeWheel requires an existing relationship with FreeWheel and is largely separate in implementation from VAST/IMA.
JW Player can render itself and play videos using either of two technologies: Flash and HTML5. The player must be rendering in a particular mode to serve content via a particular method. For example, in order to serve a VPAID 1.0 ad which requires Flash, the player must be rendered in Flash mode. The same goes for video advertising, which means a single JW Player setup is capable of delivering ads across desktop browsers and mobile devices (iOS/Android). In particular, we support the following standards:
|vast||VAST 3.0 + VPAID 1.0||VAST 3.0 + VPAID 2.0|
|googima||IMA version 3||IMA version 3|
Video ads will work on all Supported Browsers and Devices, provided that they have a compatible media creative. There is one caveat however: If a video ad is played in fullscreen, it will not be clickable. In addition, the use of Youtube with custom, external ads served via JW Player's VAST or Google IMA plugins is not supported.
|Format||Flash mode||HTML5 mode|
|Linear||MP4, MOV, FLV, VPAID(SWF), MP3, AAC||MP4, MOV, WEBM, VPAID(JS), MP3, AAC|
|Skippable Linear||MP4, MOV, FLV, VPAID (SWF), MP3, AAC||MP4, MOV, WEBM, VPAID (JS),MP3, AAC|
|Ad Pods||MP4, MOV, FLV, VPAID (SWF), MP3, AAC||MP4, MOV, WEBM, VPAID (JS) MP3, AAC|
|Non-linear||VPAID (SWF)*, GIF, JPG, PNG||VPAID (JS), GIF, JPG, PNG|
|Companions||GIF, JPG, PNG, HTML, IFRAME||GIF, JPG, PNG, HTML, IFRAME|
*Non-linear SWF creatives must be in VPAID format to work on JW Player
Note that support for creative types also depends upon the device's Flash or HTML5 capabilities. In general, FLV and VPAID work in Flash, MP4 works everywhere and WEBM only works in Firefox/Chrome in HTML5.
For IMA, all creatives served by the DFP server are supported. See the IMA SDK Documentation for more info.
For FreeWheel, only creatives supported by FreeWheel's SDK can be displayed by the player. Additionally, Flash creatives are not supported.
Since VAST is a widely implemented standard, JW Player supports a large number of ad servers and networks. Any server producing VAST will work with JW Player. Here's a list of ad servers that are known to work with JW Player:
|24/7 Real Media||Adap.tv||DoubleClick||Adotube|
|TidalTV||Smart Ad Server||Brightroll||Zoom.in|
As with all cross-origin files, Cross-Domain File Loading must be taken into account for both Flash and HTML5.(CORS) Make sure to check this if you intend to serve ads between domains.
For IMA, DoubleClick for Publishers (DFP), Ad Exchange for Video, the AdSense for Video (AFV) network, along with third-party ad servers are supported. See the IMA SDK Documentation for more info.
For FreeWheel, only FreeWheel's proprietary ad server is supported.
Here's an example setup for all four Advertising API use cases:
- Impression Verification, e.g. towards your analytics back-end.
- Custom Scheduling, e.g. for midrolls and ad breaks.
- Multiple Companions, e.g. for impactful website takeovers.
Due to the use of several different possible ad client configurations with JW Player (VAST, Google IMA, and FreeWheel), there are certain considerations to be made regarding both. Please consult the chart below:
|Ad Scheduling via Player Setup||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|JW Player Ads API||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Ad Tag Variables||Yes||Yes (Limited to IMA-compatible variables)||N/A|
|VMAP Ad Schedule||Yes||Yes||N/A|
|VAST 3 Ad Pods||Yes||Yes||N/A|
|Per-Playlist Item Schedule||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Ad Tag Waterfalling||Yes||No||N/A|
|Configurable Ad Skipping||Yes||No||Yes|
|Google IMA Ad Rules||No||Yes||N/A|
Did you find this article helpful?
Please log in to rate this article.